LG 42LK520 42-Inch 1080p LCD TV - Black Review

LG 42LK520 42-Inch 1080p LCD TV - Black
This LG 42LK520 LCD TV is replacing my well-loved Toshiba CRT TV (which, to my dismay, refused to age or give any sign it was ready to quit and justify my purchase), so I can't claim great sophistication when it comes to comparing modern, flat-panel TVs.

Having said that, I couldn't be happier with this LG. The image is crisp and true. The color saturation on the default setting is perhaps a touch brighter than life - which I'm sure can be manipulated easily, but I rather like seeing the world with bright green grass and impossibly blue sky, so I haven't bothered. The TruMotion works well and so far I have seen no after-image or blur. The sound quality is good, but not great, but it matters little to me as I run it through my fairly old home theater system which makes the whole experience quite wonderful. I even like the subtle light that glows on the lower right corner and turns from red to blue when you turn the TV on - totally unrelated to the TV's performance, but it's just cool and makes the LG 42LK520 TV look expensive. I am enjoying this TV tremendously, and sometimes will turn it on just to look at how nice the picture is.

For about $650 with free shipping, how could I not be happy? Shipping was impressively quick. Set up was relatively easy, though the installation manual is so simple as to be relatively useless. Incidentally, if you're hooking it up to your satellite receiver, you have to press "input" on your remote and then select "HDMI" - the instruction manual doesn't tell you this.

None of the minor weaknesses (like the sound - which isn't bad, it just didn't blow me away) are significant enough to drop it out of five-star range. At this price point this LG 42LK520 42-Inch 1080p LCD TV provides incredible value. I really could not be happier with this purchase.