Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) Review

Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black) Review
I wished an easy AM-FM Radio with analog tuning to take vacationing with me. As different states have diverse channel spacing digital tuning won't be ideal and I would prefer analog tuning anyway. Initial experimentation trying prior to my travels indicated that, for the price, the Sony ICF38 has reasonable signal sensitivity as well as selectivity for a basic radio within this price class. One area I used to be going to with this radio is in a strong " RF " environment where several nearby broadcast stations could easily overload the front end of low-cost radios making them nearly ineffective. This Sony ICF38 was proven itself when utilized in this strong signal area without front end overkill which also allowed listening to weaker out of town stations on both AM and also FM.

Simple and respectable quality radios such as this are not always easily found in retailers, particularly the nationally known chains where shelf space is at a premium. I am happy I was able to find this radio available on line. It's a brilliant, simple ( convenient ) portable radio reminiscent of portable radios we had years ago long before the digital tuning age. Battery consumption is medium. The sound quality is pleasant for a radio in this budget and size. I find it rather appealing in visual appearance and very practical including the detent in the carry handle to position it up or down while avoiding it flopping around if the radio is relocated. The tuning indicator calibration is pretty accurate as well in case you know the frequency of the station you want to listen to it is not going to be tough to tune in.

I like the Sony ICF38. It's a good one one to carry on hand for loss of power emergencies. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a second one.